Thursday, November 26, 2009

McCall's 2401 and Burda 06-2009-122


McCall's 2401

This was an easy dress to sew, but I had to change the shape of the hip. I have flatter hips than I used to have (read: I’m now a rectangle), so I had to change it using a French curve.




I’m really going to have to learn to do the swayback adjustment. And, yes, I’m holding my stomach in. I wore this with a tummy control garment, so this is pretty much what I looked like.

This is definitely the motivation I need to go running today. Besides that, the weather is GORGEOUS! It’s August 31 and it’s 66 degrees!!! I love living in the Northeast!!!

I also sewed a Burda top from the June 2009 issue (#122). I didn’t care for much from this issue, but this top was cute. It’s kind of funny that while I’m running to get in shape, I’m sewing like a fiend to accommodate my larger body.


I cut this pattern out about a month ago and put it away. I just got to it last night because I REALLY need clothes for work that are larger than a RTW size 8, which is what populates my closet. I’m obviously not a RTW 8 now, but over the next year I want to get back to it.

I added a 5/8″ seam allowance to the fabric, not to the paper pattern pieces. It came together nicely and easily. I sew so slowly that it took me about 7 hours to complete. The next time I sew it, I should be faster.




The only change I made was to make the mock sleeves protrude less from the shoulder by about 5/8″. When I sewed them as they were cut out, it put me in the mind of the meanest dinosaur in the world:



Don’t ask.

I haven’t put the drawstring on, and that should help with the shaping of the garment. Putting the rest of the buttons on will help the drape. I’ve done the buttonholes and three buttons already, but I hate handsewing, so the other four buttons will have to wait. I’ll update when I do it.

May I say that I am very impressed with how easy this pattern was to put together. I’m going to start on a skirt from the September issue, which, again, I love!

Updated 9/7/09

I sewed the drawstring and the casing. I don’t think I will sew on the remaining buttons. I ‘m just going to sew the bottom part of the opening closed.




Again, I’m happy with the result. It was easy to put together and is very comfortable to wear. I might make another.

No comments:

Post a Comment