Thursday, November 26, 2009

Burda 2996



I bought this pattern in 2004 when I took a sewing class through LSU. It was an extension course held one evening a week. The pattern was cut on a 12 at the shoulders and the waist and hips were cut on an 18. I obviously was almost as big then as I am now. I cut it a little bit larger, but I took in the two front darts a bit more because it came out too large. The instructor had raised the back darts and had given me a v-neckline (at my request).

I find that the hips of this pattern don’t have such a dramatic change from the waist as other patterns I’ve used. I usually have to redraw the waist to hip line on the pattern so that I don’t wind up with poufs of fabric because I’m no longer shaped like an hourglass, but more rectangular. I didn’t have to do that with this pattern. Maybe what I’ve read about Burda patterns is true – they’re drafted to allow for a differently- shaped woman than the Big 4 drafts for. Makes me happy that I subscribed to BWOF.

By the way, I’m loving the September 2009 issue. I can’t wait to actually sew a pattern from that issue!





Things to work on:

*My hemline seems even from the sides, but is obviously uneven from the front.
*My neckline won’t lay flat.
*A swayback adjustment is needed.

This is the second dress that I’ve made for my larger body. I decided to sew clothes with material that I already have instead of buying clothes that I might not be able to fit in the next year. If my girth is permanent, then I’ll start buying new clothes. Until then, I’ll have fun trying to improve my sewing skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment