Thursday, November 26, 2009

Burda 11-2009-122



Although the pleats intimidated me, I knew that I had to try to make this skirt. I made it out of a tan wool crepe and lined it with the striped lining that I bought tons of and use for everything.


Since I have such a short attention span, I couldn’t read all of the directions. I did it my way. **Cue Frank Sinatra singing**
  • I serged all of the edges of the fabric and lining, including the pockets before I began sewing, which saved me from having to go back and finish the seams.
  • I added about five inches to the length since everything that I make turns out too short, and I am very short to begin with. I don’t like anything to be above my knees. It’s a bit longer than I intended, but since it turned out so full, the length works.
  • I attached the front of the waistband (the part that is seen) to the front of the skirt and the back of the waistband to the lining. I placed the skirt and lining right sides together and sewed them at the top of the waistband.
  • I sewed the tops of the pockets that were to double as belt loops closed.
  • I omitted some of the top-stitching
  • At this point I haven’t hemmed it, but have left the serged edges exposed.
  • The pleats are more open than on the line drawing. This is either because of my hips or because I didn’t ensure the pleats were totally closed when I sewed the pockets on.
I like it! It looks great with boots. I won’t make it again because one is enough, but I find it amazing that my best results come from Burda patterns. Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment